Click the image to view the Energy Forecast
There are plenty of ways you can save electricity - and money - around the house. Here are a few energy-smart tips:
- Bake several dishes at the same time in early morning hours when outside temperatures are the lowest.
- Avoid overloading your refrigerator.
- Insulate and weatherize your home properly including the ceiling, walls, and floors.
- Wash and dry full loads of laundry, and use only the cold or warm setting.
- Vent your clothes dryer to the outside.
- Clean your refrigerator condenser regularly.
- Set your thermostat at 68 F in the winter and at 78 F in the summer.
- Remember to turn off appliances and lights when not in use. Lights produce heat and unnecessary heat makes your air conditioning work harder than it has to.
- Use fluorescent lights wherever possible.
- Check weather stripping around doors and windows.
- Change your air conditioning filters regularly.
- Use a timer on your pool pump. A pool pump when allowed to run continuously, can add $20 a month to your bill. Use the pump only the necessary number of hours to keep the pool clean.
- Use ceiling fans to increase air circulation in the rooms of your home and check to make sure the blade rotation is pulling the air in the right direction…up for summer, down for winter.
Here are a few safety tips:
- Be sure appliance cords are in good condition.
- Never trim limbs that are on power lines. Call us!
- Install surge protectors on every avenue to the outside world.