Below you will find the most frequently asked questions about the application process:
1. How do I apply for a position?
- Submit a completed and signed Town of Selma employment application on or before the closing date, listed for each position.
- Note that a separate application is required for each position for which you are applying, and copies are accepted.
- To ensure your application submission is valid:
- Please only apply for positions for which you meet the minimum requirements. (Minimum requirements may be met through an equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the necessary knowledge, abilities, and skills needed to perform the job.)
- Please fill in all information that is listed on the application, as this will be used to determine your qualifications for employment
- Please write the letters "NA" for Not Applicable, when something doesn't apply to you or there is no information to be given
- Please remember to sign and date your application
The employment application and supplement is strictly confidential and the exclusive property of the Town of Selma, North Carolina.
2. Where can I get an application?
Employment Application Work History Continuation Page
114 N. Raiford Street
Selma, NC 27576
3. How do I submit my completed and signed application?
- Email (email@example.com)
- Fax (919-965-4637 – ATTN: Human Resources Manager)
- Hand delivery or U.S. Mail to the address above
4. What happens once I submit my application for employment?
- Applications for permanent and temporary positions are forwarded to the hiring department head when the closing date for the position passes.
- Any applications that are received after the closing date or do not meet the minimum qualifications will not be forwarded to the hiring department head.
- Valid applications are reviewed by the hiring department head and the best qualified applicants are selected for interviews.
5. How will I know if I am selected for an interview?
- Applicants who are selected for interviews will be contacted by the Human Resources Manager.
- Applicants may be called for a second interview.
6. What happens after the interview?
- A final selection is made by the hiring department.
- The final candidate must submit to a:
- Criminal background investigation (upon conditional offer);
- Credit check (if required for the position);
- Controlled substance test;
- Pre-employment Physical; and
- Driver's license history check (if required for the position).
- All of the above testing must be completed prior to the selected applicant beginning employment.
7. What happens to my application if I am not selected for the position?
- Applications for permanent and temporary employment are maintained by the Human Resources Department in accordance with the Municipal Records Retention and Disposition Schedule, Standard 12 – Personnel Records, Item # 30 (page 108).
- Applications will not be returned and cannot be reactivated for other positions.
8. How long does the process take?
- The average time for this process is approximately four weeks for full-time employees and two weeks for part-time employees; depending on the position.
9. What is the protocol if I have questions about the status of my application?
- Call the Human Resources Department at 919-965-9841, Ext. 1005.
- Please provide the Position Title when calling.
10. The Town of Selma is an EEO/M-F/AA/ADA/Drug-Free Employer
As we strive to maintain a diverse workforce, the Town of Selma encourages all qualified persons to apply without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, gender, age, religious affiliation, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. The Town of Selma is an EEO/M-F/AA/ADA/Drug-Free Employer.
As required by law, the Town of Selma participates with E-Verify to determine legal employment eligibility status.
E-Verify Organization Participates in E-Verify Poster
E-Verify Poster English
E-Verify Poster Spanish