Library Board Information
Officers and Members
- The Librarian shall be responsible for the management of the Library operation. The Librarian shall present at meetings any recommendation to improve library service.
- The officers of the Board shall be a Chairman and Secretary elected from the members. The office of the Secretary may be held by the librarian if the Board so wishes.
- The Chairman shall preside at Board meetings and appoint the necessary committees to carry out the action of the board.
- The Secretary shall keep a record of attendance at meetings, record official action of the board, and keep minutes of the meetings.
- The number of members shall be six (6) members as appointed by the Town Council. No more than two (2) members will be from the ETJ (extraterritorial jurisdiction).
- The members shall serve a term of two (2) years and appointments of terms are to be staggered so that all will not be newly appointed.
Powers and Duties
- Make recommendations to the Town Manager concerning the construction and improvement of buildings and other structures for the library system.
- Make recommendations to the Town Manager for care of the library system's facilities.
- Help establish policies to protect and regulate the use of library materials.
- Advise the Town Manager on Library matters generally.
- The Library Board should hold at least quarterly meetings, if deemed necessary, and all of its meetings shall be open to the public.
- Special meetings may be called by the Librarian by giving each member forty-eight (48) hours notice.
- A quorum shall consist of a simple majority of the total membership of the Library Board. A quorum of the Library Board shall be in attendance before action of an official nature can be taken.